PRESIDENT MESSAGE- NOVEMBER
The Prime Minister of Malaysia, YAB Dato’ Sri Mohd Najib bin Tun Abdul Razak has tabled Budget 2016 on 23rd October 2015. Master Builders Association Malaysia (MBAM) would like to thank the Government for the bigger development budget allocated in Budget 2016. The budget of RM267.2 billion ringgit is an increase from a revised allocation of RM260.7 billion for 2015. The nudge in public spending will definitely help the construction industry especially in setting the pace for the 11th Malaysia Plan (11MP) and in 2016 where construction is expected to grow at 8.4%.
MBAM hope that the Government can consider providing subsidy for the implementation of Building Information Modeling (BIM) as the cost of the software is currently very expensive. BIM will enable integration between process and technology to enable the efficient life-cycle management of facilities. MBAM also wish to express our disappointment that our wish list to have a reduction of corporate tax from 24% remains a wish.
The following were the key events in October 2015:-
Courtesy Visit to SOCIAL SECURITY ORGANISATION (SOCSO)
Group Photo with the Chief Executive Officer of SOCSO
Discussion in session
MBAM Vice President Ir. Chuan Yeong Ming, MBAM Executive Director Ms Loh Mei Ling, MBAM Managers Ms Lee Siew Mei, Ms Chai Min Fung and I paid a courtesy visit to the Chief Executive of SOCSO YBhg Dato’ Dr. Mohammed Azman Bin Dato’ Aziz Mohammed on 15th October 2015. MBAM took the opportunity to update MBAM joint safety and health programmes status with SOCSO since 2010. As of to-date, SOCSO is satisfied with MBAM’s effort in promoting safety and health activities/ programme in the construction industry and hope MBAM will continue such good effort.
Overall, the visit was fruitful.
Quantity Surveying International Convention 2015
MBAM President, Mr Matthew Tee during the Q&A session
The attendees at the convention
On 20th October 2015, I was invited to give a presentation on the Sustainability of the Construction Industry at the Quantity Surveying International Convention 2015 (QSIC 2015. QSIC 2015 was jointly organized by the Board of Quantity Surveyors Malaysia, Royal Institution of Surveyors Malaysia, Universiti Teknologi MARA and Public Works Department Malaysia.
The QS International Convention 2015 was held with the aim to provide a platform to empower Quantity Surveyors by synergizing innovations and latest development on the competencies of professionalism, integrity, procurement, education and training in facing challenges beyond frontiers.
MBAM Annual Golf TOURNAMENT 2015
The VVIP Flight
Group photo of all the players
MBAM President, Mr Matthew Tee presented the main prize to the Champion of the MBAM Annual Golf Tournament 2015
The MBAM Annual Golf 2015 took off on 24th October 2015 at Kota Permai Golf and Country Club, Shah Alam. Despite the haze, 128 players turned up for the early morning golf which teed off at 8.00 a.m. After half a day’s play of golf, the players were treated to lunch at the Permai Ballroom. In this opportunity, I would like to thank the following sponsors for their generosity in sponsoring MBAM Annual Golf Tournament 2015:
Transview Golf Sdn Bhd
- Bina Puri Holdings Bhd
- China Railway Engineering Corporation (M) Sdn Bhd
- Gamuda Berhad
- IJM Construction Sdn Bhd
- Minetech Construction Sdn Bhd
- Putra Perdana Construction Sdn Bhd
- SH Heavy Machinery Sdn Bhd
- P. Mega Sdn Bhd
- Spring Energy Sdn Bhd
- Sunway Construction Group Berhad
- Wai Fong Infra Sdn Bhd
- Al Ambia Sdn Bhd
- BHL Builders Sdn Bhd
- LFE Corporation Berhad
- Nippon Paint (M) Sdn Bhd
- Sime Darby Industrial Sdn Bhd
- P. Mega Sdn Bhd
- TenCate Geosynthetics Malaysia Sdn Bhd
- UEM Builders Berhad
- UEM Builders Berhad
- UEM Builders Berhad
- Eversendai Corporation Bhd
- Kumpulan Semesta Sdn Bhd
- Volvo Malaysia Sdn Bhd
- Yekon Equipment (M) Sdn Bhd
- Al Ambia Sdn Bhd
- Al Ambia Sdn Bhd
- HYK Bina Sdn Bhd
- Malaysian Rocks Sdn Bhd
- Ocned Water Technology Sdn Bhd
- Pasukhas Construction Sdn Bhd
- Unipati Concrete Sdn Bhd
- WCT Berhad
Special Golf Package:
- Kota Permai Golf and Country Club
- Sunway Resort Hotel and Spa
- MST Golf Sdn. Bhd.
- Alliance Precast Industries Sdn Bhd (Cash -RM5,000.00)
- Bauer (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd (3 barrels of Beer)
- Lafarge Malaysia Berhad (Cash-RM5,000.00)
- MAPEI Malaysia Sdn Bhd (120-Golf Balls)
- Posim Marketing Sdn Bhd (120 Tumbler)
- Rk1133 Sdn Bhd (Cash- RM5,000.00)
- Tan Sri Dato’ Sri Sufri Bin Haji Mohd Zin (2-Roast Lambs)
- The Halfen-Moment Group of companies (120-piece Pendrive)
The MBAM Annual Golf 2015 was a great networking chance for MBAM members, representatives of Government agencies and the construction industry at large and it was a pleasant surprise to have full flights for this year’s tournament. I hope more and more sponsors can come onboard to make this annual event better and bigger next year.
38th BIPC Meeting
MBAM Secretary General, Mr Dennis Tan, MBAM Executive Director, Ms Loh Mei Ling and I attended the 38th Building Industry Presidents’ Council Meeting held on 28th October 2015 at The Institution of Engineers Malaysia’s GETD Meeting Room, Petaling Jaya.
Some of the issues discussed were as follows:-
- Issue on shortage of labour – Recent announcement on the rehiring of illegal foreign workers scheme. The estimated cost for this rehiring scheme is exorbitant and the meeting proposed to submit an appeal letter to Government to allow extension of work permit for foreign skilled workers under the 6P programme with nominal charges only.
- The proposed implementation of Employment Insurance Scheme by the Ministry of Human Resources has been deferred for the time being.
- Although MBAM has successfully appealed to the Government for the revision of import duties for 3 items, from 10% previously down to 5% for machineries such as self-propelled bulldozers, angeldozers, excavating and sinking machineries which takes effect from 11 June 2015. MBAM has sent another appeal letter to the Ministry of Finance in September 2015 to consider further import duties reduction for the balance of non-approved 7 heavy machineries items submitted earlier.
- New CIDB Act 520 – The said Act has been enforced and implemented with effect from 1 June 2015. All construction site personnel will need to be accredited and registered with CIDB. Imported Building Materials will need to be certified and endorsed by CIDB. To note that CIDB will take action on the ultimate person responsible for any accidents at the worksite.
- Construction Industry Transformation Plan (CITP) – CIDB is pushing hard on the implementation of CITP whereby there are 4 strategic thrusts, i.e.
- Quality, Safety & Professionalism
- Environmental Sustainability
- Productivity, and
In total, there are 18 initiatives and 32 sub-initiatives under the CITP.
Seminar On OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY & Health (OSH) Kuching
Master Builders Association Malaysia (MBAM) Safety and Health Committee together with the Construction Industry Development Board Malaysia (CIDB) and Sarawak Building & Civil Engineering Contractors Association (SBCECA) have jointly organised a 2-Day Seminar on Occupational Safety & Health (OSH) and SHASSIC in Construction Industry for safety personnel in the Construction Industry on 30th October 2015.
This Seminar, which was supported by Social Security Organisation (SOCSO) and endorsed by The National Council for Occupation Safety & Health (NCOSH) and the Department of Occupational Safety & Health (DOSH) was held with the aim to enhance the standard of safety and health at construction work sites by creating awareness among the employers and construction personnel on the importance of practicing high standard of occupational safety management and also by sharing of best practices with industry practitioners.
We are honoured to have Ir. Hj. Mohd Hatta Bin Zakaria, Director, Department of Occupational Safety & Health (DOSH), Sarawak as the Guest-of-Honour to grace and officiate the said seminar witnessed by Mr Foo Chek Lee, MBAM Deputy President and Chairman of MBAM Safety & Health Committee, Tuan Haji Abdul Razak Bin Husin, General Manager, Law Advisory Office of Construction Industry Development Board Malaysia (CIDB) HQ, Mr Phillip Sangkan, State Director of Social Security Organisation (SOCSO) Sarawak, Tuan Hj. Abdul Razak General Manager of Laws Advisory Office, CIDB HQ, Mr Andy Lai, President of Sarawak Building & Civil Engineering Contractors Association (SBCECA) and I.
River Trekking & Waterfall Gotong Royong
MBAM Publications & Outreach Committee in collaboration with Malaysian Outward Bound Youth Association, Selangor Branch, have organized the Sungai Pisang River Trekking & Waterfall “Gotong Royong” on 31st October 2015. The event was sponsored by Putra Perdana Construction Sdn Bhd. The interesting and fun event included river trekking, crossing tunnels and river, cold bath under waterfall, as well as enjoying the sounds and sights of nature. The event, which was the first by MBAM Publication and Outreach Committee, saw the participation of approximately 100 people.
The objectives of the event were:
- To create awareness of appreciating and preserving nature as well as the environment;
- To clear rubbish in and around waterfall and along the river;
- To encourage co-operation and networking among member companies;
- To create potential trade and business opportunities for members’ respective products and services;
- To promote unity and to instill collective spirit for the betterment of the construction industry;
As Deepavali is just around the corner, I would like to wish each one of you a very happy and prosperous Deepavali. May this year brings you lots and lots of happiness in life and all your dreams will be fulfilled.