Stepping into the third month of my journey as MBAM President, I am definitely doing my very best to assist members alongside my fellow Council Members to represent the construction industry and ensure that our voices are heard.
On 2 February 2021, I paid a visit to see Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) Malaysia Chief Executive Datuk Ir. Ahmad ‘Asri Abdul Hamid at his office to hand over a proposal to improve the Temporary Measures for Reducing the Impact of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Act 2020 for the benefit of MBAM members and the construction industry. The Temporary Measures for Reducing the Impact of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (Extension of Operation) Order 2020 i.e. COVID Act has been extended for another three months until 31 March 2021.
However, MBAM hopes that the Government can further improve the Act to offer more solid and permanent protection to construction industry players especially with regards to extension of time provision and cost sharing. Contractors have been taking proactive measures to test their workers even when there is no surety of claims and currently there is no provision for this actual expense. As it is, margins are already thinning and this is still an unresolved matter for many members.
The Prime Mover and Recognized Voice of the Malaysian Construction Industry.
- To provide a synergy of services to members for the betterment of the construction industry.
- To actively initiate, support and participate in programmes and activities that enhance professionalism, productivity and quality in the construction industry.
- To address issues in the construction industry to facilitate members in achieving global competitiveness.
The Main objectives of the Association are:
- To promote and Co-ordinate the development of the construction industry.
- To Promote measures aimed at securing improvements pertaining to techniques, procedures and methods in the construction industry.
- To Organise training programmes, seminars, symposia, conferences, conventions, exhibitions and expositions related to the construction industry.
- To Identify and Study problems arising in the construction industry and to discuss and explore solutions with relevant Government authorities and professional institutions.
- To Seek representation on Committees set up by Government or non-Governmental organisations.
- To Protect the legitimate interest of members.
- To Encourage and Promote the practice of professionalism and harmonious working relationship.