MESSAGE FROM MBAM PRESIDENT, MR FOO CHEK LEE
Referring to the announcement recently made by the Immigration Department Director-General, Datuk Seri Mustafar Ali to freeze the assets and bank accounts of employers in the industrial sector who hire illegal foreign workers starting from 1st October 2016, MBAM’s stand is to object the move as the reality is many businesses do not want to employ illegal foreign workers if they have the choice. However, legal foreign workers are very time consuming to process and on top of that, very costly to recruit due to so many layers of processing both by Government agencies and third parties. Freezing the assets of construction companies would affect the livelihood of employees in the construction industry and impact on the productivity of the industry.
MBAM hope the Government will reconsider their move to freeze the assets of the employers as it will cause more harm than good to the industry and by extension the economy of the nation. We are willing to work with the authorities to explore more transparent and efficient system to bring in foreign labour in a more efficient manner.
The Prime Mover and The Recognized Voice of the Malaysian Construction Industry
- To provide a synergy of services to members for the betterment of the construction industry.
- To actively initiate, support and participate in programmes and activities that enhance professionalism, productivity and quality in the construction industry.
- To address issues related to the construction industry to facilitate members in achieving global competitiveness.
- To promote measures aimed at securing improvements pertaining to techniques, procedures & methods in the construction industry.
- To organize training programs, seminars, symposiums, conferences, conventions, exhibitions & expositions related to the construction industry.
- To identify and study problems arising in the construction industry and to discuss and explore solutions with the relevant government authorities and professional institutions.
- To seek representation on committees concerning the construction industry.
- To protect the legitimate interests of its members.
- To encourage and promote the practice of professionalism and harmonious working relationships.
The scope of the Master Builders Association Malaysia Quality System shall be defined as follows:-
For the provision of Trade Association Services for the Harmonisation, Development and Improvement of the Malaysian Construction Industry.
- Membership Services
- Government and Institutions
- Education and Training